Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sharing my recipes

Well I thought it might be fun if I throw one of my recipes your way occasionally. So I'm starting off with one of my favorites. Although I have measurements included, I NEVER EVER measure my spices. This recipe is so dang good and very healthy. Enjoy!

Mary’s Ratatouille

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons olive oil

• 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced

• 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced

• 1 small eggplant, cubed

• 1 green, red, orange, yellow pepper (which ever your favorite)

• 4 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped, or 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes

• 3 to 4 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices

• 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil

• 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano

• 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme

• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

• I add 1 cup red or white wine which ever I have open at the time

Preparation:

In a Dutch oven or saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add eggplant, stir until coated with oil. Add peppers, stir to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep vegetables from sticking.

Add tomatoes, zucchini, and herbs,mix well. Cover and cook over low heat about 15 minutes, or until eggplant is tender but not too soft.

Best when it’s able to sit in the fridge over night.

I always double or triple the recipe, then freeze some of it. As I said I do NOT measure anything. I throw in capfuls and pour the wine from the bottle to the pot. I think it turns out best when not measured. I don’t measure any recipes.